Summer Institute 2019
|2018 SI Home||Technology Sessions|
|SI Teacher Application||Strategies Workshops|
|New School Application Info||Special Topics Workshops|
|SI Schedule||Visitor Information|
|Forms and Documents|
2019 Summer Institute Dates have been Announced!
Due to NY State Regents scheduling and the NY State school calendar, Summer Institute will be slightly later in the Summer than previous years.
See Full Schedule by Course
WEEK ONE: July 8-12
WEEK TWO: July 15-19
Summer Institute offers a significant professional development opportunity! Each content area runs a workshop led by SU professors who teach the particular course on campus and supervise the course in high schools. The workshops emphasize mastering content, the latest trends, and adapting the university-designed courses to high school schedules and settings. SUPA Summer Institute brings together school teachers from all disciplines on the Syracuse University campus for one week basic or advanced discipline-specific workshops.
- Project Advance offers Summer Institute training at no charge to school districts.
- The only costs incurred by schools that send teachers to training is for travel and room and board.
- The Sheraton Syracuse University has a discounted rate for Summer Institute participants.
- Week 1 (June 25-June 29) WEEK ONE room block is FULL. Please contact Jill at email@example.com
- Week 2 (July 9-July 13) Click here to make reservations for week 2.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 315.443.2404.
The basic Summer Institute workshops familiarize select high school teachers with the courses they will teach. To qualify, teachers must be identified by their schools as prospective adjunct instructors and must have academic credentials that meet the requirements set for adjuncts by the appropriate SU department.
- Participants are introduced to course content, textbooks, methodology, and syllabus development. They become part of the academic dialogue on the philosophy that has shaped the course practice, general structure, and content. They discuss trends in new knowledge and research that will determine the course’s future direction.
- Following the workshop, participants submit a final prospectus, which includes the syllabus and related explanatory materials and shows how the college course will be adapted to the high school schedule.
- Teachers wishing to enroll in these courses for SU graduate credit may do so at a reduced tuition rate available only to Project Advance workshop participants. They may repeat the workshop at a later date at no cost to the school or to the teacher.
- To gain Project Advance certification, all teachers must complete the basic workshop.
High school teachers are eligible to receive graduate credit for their Summer Institute training at a reduced rate of $70 per credit. Form for 2018 will be available soon!
Special Topics Workshops
Advanced Special Topics Workshops are offered in some subject areas to provide faculty members with further opportunities to study specific topics related to course content. Changes in the disciplines often indicate a need for seminars that carefully examine how existing syllabi can be adapted to reflect the changes or, in some cases, how new units must be developed to reflect them. Info on the 2018 Special Topics Workshops coming soon!.
Core Strategies Workshops
Continuing its commitment to offer high school teachers relevant, useful, and leading-edge professional development opportunities, SUPA will offer Core Strategies Workshops at Summer Institute 2017, designed for 7th to 10th grade teachers.
- Core Strategies: Preparing College-Ready Readers & Writers—To help 7th to 10th grade instructors teach skills that anticipate the complex reading and writing practices students will encounter as they move through the grade levels and embark on their college and professional careers, SUPA has developed a set of three professional development workshops for Summer Institute 2014:
- Reading with Purpose
- Writing to Learn, Writing Rhetorically
- Intro to Information Literacy
- Learn More about SUPA’s Core Strategies workshops.